Monday, April 16, 2018

Week 98: In which I ponder meekness, pass Conception to the hermanas, and learn I am going to heaven.

4

(written 9 April 2018)

That's right, everyone! I found out I'm going to heaven! I'll tell you all of the sweet details later on.

This has been another good week. This last Monday, we had an amazing lesson with a lady named Concepcion. Sadly, she doesn't live in our area, so it was a pass-off lesson, but it was still amazing nonetheless! She has apparently taken a real interest in the Book of Mormon since then, and has been reading it regularly.

We also learned better how to help Roxana improve her situation. We now know what is standing in the way of her splitting up with her boyfriend. We just need a ride for her small child to get to a special program to help him learn to speak better! We're so glad that we now know what we have to work around. She's doing so well! She was trying to share the gospel with one of her acquaintances, and as it turns out, that acquaintance and another friend of hers tried to dissuade her from liking the church. They tried to fill her mind with lies and half-truths about the church, but she just told them "I prayed about it, and God told me in a dream that it's true. Why would he do that if it weren't actually true?" She then told us about this experience, and asked us to teach her more so that she can refute them better in the future. We were pretty happy about that.

Also, she had prayed to know if the Church was true on one previous occasion, and that night had a dream where she saw me (that's right! She saw yours truly) as a missionary talking to her sister in El Salvador (that's right, I was in El Salvador). She then said in one of our lessons this week (with our Branch Mission Leader, Mitch Poth there!) that she knew that I was going to Heaven because she saw me in that dream. Yes, that's right! I am going to Heaven because Roxana says so. Hey, I'll take what I can get, right? 

I wish it worked like that.

Love you all, and have a blessed week! Also, I hope you all had a happy Easter and also Orthodox Easter (that was yesterday)!

Elder Ben Adams

Questions from Editor Mom

So, what parts of conference are still fresh in your mind, a week later? - I still was struck by the talk on meekness. I wish I had known that a long time ago. It may not have changed much then, but I am so glad I could finally get that straight! I honestly think I struggled before my mission, not as much with pride, but with a lack of meekness. I mean, it is the same, but I never felt I was arrogant, and so it took me a very long time to figure out how to actually work through that. I now also know for a fact that Pres. Nelson is the Lord's living Prophet today.

What do you most want to remember about the last week? - I want to remember the lesson we had with Concepcion Martinez last Monday. She doesn't live in our area, but used to. We found her a long time ago, but just this last Monday, we were able to have a lesson with her and Hermanas Birchell and Timm. It went really well, the spirit was really strong, and she is amazing! She's one of the Hermanas' most solid investigators now. She has been reading in the Book of Mormon and trying to send pictures of what she's reading to the Hermanas. Sadly, our phones are too old and clunky to do things like that. That will change in about a week and a half, though. :-)

How are your investigators coming along? - We've really only been able to teach Roxana for a while, and she's doing really well. We're really working on finding more solid investigators, but it has been a little bit of a challenge of late. Ojalá que lo podamos hacer muy pronto, ¿verdad?  [Hopefully we can do it very soon, right?]

Here's a big one: Tell me some of the most important things you have learned and/or done on your mission thus far. - Shoot. That's a doozy. Well, one thing I have learned is how to humble myself more and be more meek. I've also learned an incredible amount about the Spirit World; it's real! I've learned how to give blessings to people and use the priesthood. I've even been able to be the voice in a few blessings when we commanded the sick person to be healed in the name of the Lord. They felt better in a matter of 1-2 days, hours, or even minutes. It has been amazing. I have learned that there is power in the ordinances of the Priesthood. They work! The Gospel works! I've learned how to exercise faith more on my mission. I've learned better how to actually love people; I've learned that boldness is important, and teaching simply and directly is the best way. I've learned how to be bold, how to follow spiritual promptings, how to discern someone's spirit, how to look inside someone and, following the Spirit, say what will pierce to their soul. I've learned that the gifts of the Spirit are real. I've learned how to better repent. I've learned how to apply the Doctrine of Christ to my daily life. While I'm not perfect at it, I've better learned how to study. I've learned there is power in studying from and reading the scriptures daily, specifically the Book of Mormon. I have gained a testimony of the importance of that great book. I have come to know my Savior better, and understand how He and God show their love for us. I now understand that sometimes, "tough love" is the best kind of love, and what people need to move forward.

I could go on and on. Basically, I now know more than ever that the Gospel is true. It's really true. I know it.

What made you laugh this week? - Well, that brings me to another thing I've learned. I've learned that I'm going to Heaven. I know that, because Roxana said so. Man, I wish it actually worked like that. I'll elaborate a bit in my main email.

Love,

E. Adams


No comments:

Post a Comment