Thursday, January 11, 2018

Week 85: In which we meet Othello transplants, I bond with a greenie, and we sing in nursing homes.


Hello again!
(written 8 Jan 2018)

Hello again, everyone! Man, it seems you just can't get rid of me! Here I am, back like a rotten egg, writing another email on every single Monday. Well, I'm very happy to do so.

This week was absolutely amazing! A few weeks ago, we met a lady named Brianda. This last Tuesday, we went back to talk to her, and her husband, Luis, opened the door and immediately invited us in! We went inside, and talked with him a bit. His wife later came back, we talked a little bit more, and then set up a return appointment for Thursday. They also told us a few very interesting things: first, they moved to Moses Lake from Othello only a few months ago! In fact, when I asked them where they were from in Othello, they actually said they lived on a street in my old area! In fact, that particular street was part of a group of duplexes owned by members that we visited a LOT. So much, in fact, that I pretty much talked with everyone who lived there, provided they opened the door. That means that there is approximately an 80% chance (or so) that I talked to them back then! Isn't that crazy?!? Coincidence? I think not.

Also, they told us that they are super good friends with a couple of the active members here in the Moses Lake 9th Branch: The Lunas (Bro. Luna is in the Branch Presidency, and his wife is from Massachusetts) and the Morenos (Bro. Moreno joined the church a little less than a year ago, not too long after his wife, and they both come really regularly).

We then went back on Thursday, but this time the Morenos came with us. Bro. and Sis. Moreno shared powerful testimonies of how the Gospel has blessed their lives, and both Luis and Brianda were listening really intently. They showed a lot more interest as we continued to share about the Restoration, and we'll be going back today. They are both so amazing, and we're really excited to keep working with them!

Everyone else is doing about the same. Honestly, not much else has happened, except for exchanges.

Elder Memmott is the new missionary in our district. He is just starting his training period, and he is fantastic! He's actually also going to be a music major, and he'll start at BYU after finishing his mission. He's trying to decide between Composition, Percussion Performance, and Pedagogy. He and I also relate about a lot of other things. He makes me think of a music major version of Elder West. I'm so happy he's here! It's going to be great.

Everything else is going really well. I'm so grateful to Susie Roberts for the letter! Muchisimas gracias, lo aprecio mucho. Estoy muy agradecido que yo pueda estar aqui, compartir mi testimonio con los demas, y aprender Espanol. Also, thank you so much to Sis. Jeffrey for the little Lego missionary! That is so awesome! I also really appreciated the card from the Nobles. I'm very happy that all of you are well, and I wish you all the best. This gospel is so amazing!

Much love,

Elder Adams
 
 

Questions from Editor Mom

Hi Elder Ben! - Hi Mom!

How's the work coming in the Prophet's Puddle? - Actually, great! We found some amazing new investigators this week, and we're pretty excited for our return appointment tonight!

How's the greenie in your district doing? - He is amazing! His name is Elder Memmott, and he's actually also going to be a music major! He is a bit like Elder West and I in a lot of ways. I'm really excited to have him here; we're going to have a great transfer in this district.

Are you managing to keep your allergies under control? (I take alertec a lot, which helps me; do you want me to send you some)? - I manage well enough. I pretty much just blow my nose a lot at this point; I'm (very) mildly congested... all of the time. But it's mild enough it doesn't bother me a ton.

What do you do for service in Moses Lake--do you have a regularly scheduled opportunity, like the food bank or something? - We go to the Food Bank pretty regularly, and we also sing in large groups for the Nursing Homes in the area (for some reason, we tend to visit Alzheimer's Wards a lot; that's probably because they don't remember that we came a few weeks earlier).

Please tell me something that made you laugh this week. - I honestly don't know. I usually forget pretty quickly.

What are you looking forward to now that Christmas is over? - I'm excited for my birthday, and each transfer brings new excitement with new missionaries and changes. That's honestly all I can think of.

What was your district meeting like this week? - We didn't have one. We only have them if we don't have any other meetings. The first week of the transfer is always District Leader Orientation (DLO, where we learn how to be better leaders), the first week of each month is always Mission Leadership Council for the Zone Leaders, where they get information to be passed to the District Leaders in Zone Leadership Council (ZLC). That's happening this coming week, though, because the first week of the transfer and the first week of the month coincided. Then, we have Zone Conference once a transfer. The rest of the weeks, usually 2-3, are District Meetings. I'm not sure if we get 1 or 2 this transfer.  The calendar the Zone Leaders have said only 1, but everyone agrees that doesn't seem quite right.

What's the best thing that happened this week? - I think the best think that happened this week was finding Luis and Brianda! They have a lot of potential. They are so amazing!

Love you,

Elder Adams
 

Photos

 
 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. hi Elder Adams! It is great to read your adventures and challenges here on your blog as you serve the Lord! We enjoy seeing so many of you from the Lowell Ward, out serving the Lord ---when we left Lowell you were all just 'young uns'!
    It makes us happy to hear about you all! It is nice to hear of your getting to go back and see someone baptized! I know sometimes there is pressure to hit certain numbers, teach X amount of lessons, etc. Goals have great value but the success is not in the numbers and stats --it is in the bringing of souls to Christ -- those who desire to be part of His fold, those who understand what making that commitment is! Success is planting a seed of desire to come to Christ in someone's heart, it is serving and doing your best each day without thought of reward for yourself but for those you teach and serve! It is knowing when to speak up and when to shut up (you know what I mean--nicely said :o)! especially when being directed by the Spirit! It is remembering that each and every person on this earth is blessed and endowed with the Light of Christ -- and when you are a catalyst to awaken that light in someone, that is a missionary blessing! Helping someone get baptized and receive the Gift of the Holy Ghost, to daily be with them --another success!
    We pray for you and all the missionaries to be led by the Spirit to have true success in bringing souls to Christ!
    Enjoy your new companion--your musical interests and talents can be a wonderful asset --I firmly believe the spirit moves through music so strongly!! Have fun with that!

    Take care and carry on!! Love Bro.Lance & Sis.Naomi Smith (AKA Gram * Gramps Gazette on blogspot)

    ReplyDelete