Monday, November 20, 2017

Week 78: In which we find Laura, teach David, and I anticipate Thanksgiving in a new area!

Umm...
(written Nov 20, 2017)


I don't know what it is here, but I don't seem to have enough time ever. I'm already out of it, but I hope you can forgive me. I don't have time for a main email this week. Partially, that's because of some technical difficulties sending so many pictures. It won't happen again, sorry. My deepest apologies.

Love you all,

Elder Adams

Questions from Editor Mom

How's your week been? I can't wait to hear about some of your experiences! - It's been super fantastic! At the same time, though, I've had some profound disappointments. Well, mixed feelings, anyway. Read on!

Any plans for Thanksgiving? - Yes, but I don't know what they are. I will probably find out soon, though. Continue reading to find out why I don't know.

What, if any, changes are in the wind? I'm, of course, looking forward to hearing what is in store for you this transfer. - I'm really quite sad to report that Elder Rigby will no longer be my companion. Neither will Toppenish continue to be my area. I'm being transferred to Moses Lake 9th North. (Moses Lake 9th is the Spanish Branch). I've been assigned to be the new District Leader there. The District has 2 companionships of Elders and 1 Sister companionship. The District consists of all of the Spanish missionaries in Moses Lake. I will be companions with Elder Shoemaker. I hear he likes to eat a lot. I guess we'll get along just fine.

I will arrive on Wednesday. That means that my first full day there will be Thanksgiving. Grrr. That's super unfortunate. Oh, well, it's not the end of the world. :-) That's why I don't have any idea what the plans are, since I'll be going to Moses Lake, the good 'ole "prophet's puddle", for this year's holiday season.

What is the best thing that happened to you this week? - Finding Laura, probably. Also, David is doing really well. David is an investigator of ours who suffers from memories of his past. He served as a Marine in the Gulf War, and it really scarred him. Pretty sure he has some serious PTSD. He's married to Priscilla, a nice lady. She was feeling ill, but David came to church with two of his boys, Albert and Bubba! They did great. Laura is a new investigator who wants to be baptized, feel forgiveness, and give up drinking for good to be a better mom for her 6-year old daughter, Anayi. Laura's mom, Maria, and her brother, Alfredo, also have a lot of potential. We had a great lesson with Joshua Brownowl (AKA Marvalous) as well, and he wants to be baptized! He's doing pretty well, too, but doesn't have a very supportive family.

How about the most challenging thing that happened to you this week? - Being told I was going to be transferred. Elder Rigby is staying to train a new missionary. The only thing that took the sting out of leaving was being assigned to be District Leader. That will add some welcome extra spice to missionary life. I'm still really, really, sad to go, though. Toppenish has been one of my very favorite places to be. It's been a wild, wild, ride.

What is the name of the hymn you played at zone conference? It starts out like "Pioneer Children..." but then goes somewhere else. (I liked it, by the way, and you've gotten lots of thumbs up on Facebook from people we don't know--parents of other missionaries, I presume). - It's the BYU Vocal Point arrangement of "Savior, Redeemer". Thanks, I'm glad you liked it!

What are you most thankful for in your life right now? - I'm very, very, grateful for Elder Rigby. He's been a great companion. I've seen him grow a lot, and I feel like I've grown as well in our time together. I'm also super grateful for President Lewis and the rest of the mission leadership. They're all so very supportive and helpful.

Most of all, I've learned to be grateful for Jesus Christ and what he did for us. I'm so glad that thanks to Him, our lives can be filled with light. I'm incredibly grateful that I can start fresh all the time, that tomorrow can be a new day, and that I can have a family as wonderful as all of you. I love you, and wish you the best.

Elder Adams


Pictures

Sister Macintosh and I. She's from the Philippines, speaks Tagalog, and makes amazing egg rolls that remind me of Cambodian egg rolls home. We had dinner with her a few times, and the other Elders were teaching her to help remind her of what she learned when she joined the church and rekindle her testimony.

Bro. and Sis. Barney and I. They're really nice. He's a Ward Missionary here. He is a farmer, and has a little bit of a stubborn streak, but is a good man. He's stubborn enough, though, that when he fell of a ladder onto cement, he didn't want to lay down and rest, but got up and started acting normal again. It's taking him a long time to get over that, as a result. In some respects, it reminds me of when Mom, after getting knee surgery, was standing on chairs washing windows and doing all manner of things.





Bro. Compton and I. He's nice, and a member of the bishopric here. Sister Barney is in the background.


Bro. Shannon Thorp. His brother is a less-active member of the church. Their dad used to be bishop. While I was here, he moved back to Toppenish because his house burned down. He's absolutely fantastic with us in lessons. He also has an enviable beard.




Adrian Maravilla and I. He's the Elder's Quorum President of the Branch. He's a nice guy, and at college.


President Kendall! He's amazing. He's the Branch President of the 2nd Branch here in Toppenish. He's a really fun man, with a great personality. He likes to talk a lot, and our meetings often get off track a bit (i.e. a lot). He's also very accident-prone and has some back issues, so often has to miss church. Still, he tries his best

This is Hermano Maravilla and I. He's the 2nd counselor in the Branch Presidency and in charge of Sunday School. He's an amazing man, and very humble.

Los Ibarra! They're super solid members of the Branch. We are teaching their daughter, Jamie (3rd from the right) because for legal reasons she can't get baptized until she's 18, but her birthday is on December 10th! She's really excited, and has waited a long time.

Our legendary Lower Valley District. Elder Rigby and I are in front.
Back, left to right: Elder Sanchez (our District Leader), Elder Wright, Hermana Brenchley (she scares me a little), Elder Gallacher, Hermana Hernandez, Elder Alonzo (being trained by Elder Sanchez in Sunnyside).


Elder Sanchez, Elder Rigby, Me, and Elder Alonzo after exchanges Saturday morning.

Elder Rigby posing in front of one of the many murals in Toppenish, this particular one being on a church. Elder Rigby makes a good companion, doesn't he?

Joshua Brownoul showed us a really cool trick with a piece of paper that separates like so. He folded up the piece of paper, called it a "ticket to Heaven", and told a story about a good guy and a bad guy. The good guy had the ticket, and the bad guy kept asking for pieces. He would rip off a bit of the ticket each time. At the end, the bad guy ended up with all the pieces which spelled you-know-what, and the good guy ended up with the cross. It was pretty cool, and very Joshua Brownowl.
 
 
Me with a rake.


 



No comments:

Post a Comment