Friday, November 3, 2017

Week 74: In which I recite rejections, mention miracles, and display destroyers


Quick Letter...

(written 23 Oct 2017)

I really have no time, but here's a little bit at least... from my letter to President. Sorry, I know that's a lame cop-out. Before that, though, we have some sad news: Perla is moving! She's probably going to move outside of the mission this week, to Grandview. That means we won't know when she's baptized or be able to attend her baptism. However, she really is living in a bad place right now. It's definitely best for her that she leaves, even though it's sad. Oh, well. It's the Lord's work, not ours.

First of all, President Lewis asked for some common doorstep rejections. Here is what I told him:
1. "I believe all religions are good, and all that matters is your faith in Christ. I'm good where I am, though, and don't want to change religions. Good job for spreading the word, though! Bye!"

2. "I love talking about God, but I'm really busy and work all the time (or: "I'm just about to leave"). Come back another day." When we push for a specific day or time, they then say "Another day." and close the door. 

(This basically means that they don't mind you knocking on their door very much, but if they're tired or don't feel like it, they will just ignore you. In other words, they don't really want to hear, but don't mind being talked at once in a while so they don't feel as bad about not going to church.)

Sometimes people use both.

Even still, this work is God's work, and nothing, not even super lame excuses, will stop it from progressing.

In addition, I told him about our miraculous weekend. We ended up having 6 of our investigators attend the Spanish Branch, not including an amazing number of less-active members! That number also doesn't include Germaine, who attended the Ward (but not enough for us to report her as having attended).


There's simply not room to report on even a tiny portion of what is going on, so I'll simply leave off with some good news about Germaine and a quick report on our very interesting day on Saturday. Friday night, we were with a member when our appointment fell through. We then tried by another person nearby, but they weren't there either. Finally, even though it was not in our plans, we felt like we needed to go by Germaine. She's a member of the Yakama tribe, and feels like she wants to be baptized. However, she missed an appointment and we had some difficulties contacting her. We went by with our member, and when we knocked on Germaine's door, she answered! We had a great lesson. When we asked her why she kept letting us come by, she told us "I feel something different. I believe in God, and have all my life, but I feel something different when you come by and when I pray. I've never felt it before. It's like everything's going to be okay, like comfort or peace, and I feel like I owe it to myself to pursue that and find where it leads me."

We set up an appointment for the next day, Saturday. Saturday morning, we were talking about the faith we have collectively in our companionship, and how we need to exercise that faith to the working of miracles more. Later, Elder Rigby told me he said a prayer in his heart for an opportunity to give a priesthood blessing. Germaine's daughter then texted us, telling us that Germaine was sick and would have to cancel the appointment and meet later on. We still felt, however, that we needed to go by with Bro. Lott, an ordained Patriarch and member of our ward here. We did, and when Germaine came out, she was really, really, ill. She was having trouble walking and was very pale and sickly. She apparently had caught the flu from her kids. We offered to give her a priesthood blessing. She accepted, and in the blessing, we rebuked the illness in her and told her it would be gone by sundown that day. We ended up giving a total of 3 priesthood blessings that day.

The blessing worked! Sunday,  Germaine was well enough she came looking for the church. It took her some time to find it, but she eventually did in time for Relief Society. She got very emotional, but the sisters really helped her out. She wasn't completely better, but she looked a LOT better than the day before, and she could walk with strength. She eventually left early to go check on her kids. 

My testimony has grown greatly of the power of the priesthood, and in priesthood blessings. It's truly incredible. It is true. I close my testimony in the name of Jesus Christ, the greatest healer of us all, amen. 

Love you all! Bye!

Elder Adams

Questions from Editor Mom


First of all, apparently Hot Wheels makes little Star Destroyers! It's now our companionship mascot.


Now for your questions:

Did I ever tell you my favorite color is purple? I like forest green, too, for things like furniture and trees. - You mentioned it, I think last week. Royal purple is my favorite, as well. Earlier, you had told me you favorite color was blue, though.

Also, yes, forest green is generally a nice color for forests.

How was your week? - Milagroso como siempre.

What interesting insights did you gain from your interview with President Lewis last week? - I'm not sure, honestly. We talked about how things were going, pretty much.

What do you love the most about this time of year? - I like the temperature a ton.

Is your ward having a trunk or treat party? - Yes. It's combined with the Zillah Ward. I don't think we're going. If we get investigators to go, we might, though.

Are there any fun activities in the works in your ward? - I think the Spanish Branch is planning a dinner soon. The Ward recently had a really good Harvest Dinner. It was delicious. Also, several of our people showed up.

Have you found or played a cello in Toppenish, or even thought about looking for one? - I've found one in Zillah. I just haven't had the opportunity to play it yet, but I'm working on it. At least we found one, right? First step, check.

What holidays are you most looking forward to? - Definitely Thanksgiving and Christmas. Oh, yeah.

And for your main letter: how are your investigators and the members in your ward doing? - I don't think I'll be able to tell you much about that, honestly. We had some extra assignments to complete during e-mail time today, and we're about out.

Pictures



 

Pictures from Sis. Lewis (the "mission mom")








No comments:

Post a Comment