Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Week 71: In which we are led by the spirit, I bleach my shirts, and I don't catch flies

Oh that I had the voice of an angel, and had perfect pitch...
[Written Oct 2, 2017]

Buenos dias, todos! Hoy quisiera hablar acerca de muchas cosas, pero para lo mas grande de los milagros que hemos visto, simplemente copiare parte de mi carta al presidente Lewis. El es el mero hombre. Yo pondre los nombres de las personas alla para que sepan quienes son, aunque no estan en la mera carta.
Good morning everyone! Today I would like to talk about many things, but for the greatest of the miracles we have seen, I will simply copy some of my letter to President Lewis. He is the man.

Also, last night we had a crazy miracle! One of our investigators is having some trouble consistently coming to church, and she didn't come to conference. We are both getting a little tired of her inconsistency, because she's doing great with everything else. She basically just lacks a lot of discipline. Yesterday after conference, I kept thinking we should stop by and see why she didn't go, confirm our next lesson, and check up on her in person. However, I kept dismissing those thoughts as just me wanting to visit her because she's our coolest investigator right now. So, we started out to tract.

However, nowhere we went felt right. We drove to one place, but it didn't really feel right. We drove to another, which felt better, and we tracted some, but then we both kept feeling what was basically a giant, stifling stupor of thought. Nothing felt right! We were both perplexed. We thought that maybe we were supposed to go to a different town, but none of those towns felt right either.

I then got the impression to get in the car and let my companion direct us. Neither of us had any idea where we were supposed to go, but we began driving, trusting that when we arrived we would know where we were supposed to be. We drove for a bit, and then ended up parked right in the church, and we felt that someone needed us in the apartments across the street. One of our investigator's apartments. At this point, the spirit brought to my memory that nagging thought I had had earlier in the day. Pausing, I asked my companion what he was thinking. He hesitated, simply saying he thought someone in those apartments needed our help. I then felt strongly impressed to tell him my thought, so I did. At that point he threw up his hands and said "Alright! Fine. You got me. I was thinking about her too, but didn't really want to admit it."

We then went over and knocked on her door, and... her sister opened it. After talking for a little bit, we explained that God had directed us there and we weren't entirely sure why. Eventually, she opened up, telling us about an amazing experience she had had a few years ago, and described that she felt a different feeling of peace and comfort. She had talked to missionaries before, but got offended because she didn't want to leave some aspects of her culture behind. Now, she's going through a really rough time. She felt like door after door was being shut in her face (we can sometimes relate). We felt strongly prompted to say we were there to open a door for her: (and this is what surprised me; I thought it was going to be something like "Jesus Christ is the door!") the door was baptism.

Long story short(er), we briefly shared about the restoration of the Gospel and the First Vision, bringing the spirit very strongly. We invited her to pray, which she didn't want to do at first, but with some coaxing (like Elder Uceda taught us), she did. She also agreed to be baptized on November 11, and told us she felt the same peace she did during her earlier experience where she decided to believe in God in the first place. She also said she just felt incredibly happy, peaceful, and relieved after talking with us.

Anyway, that was definitely the coolest miracle this week. There were still some other cool miracles, though. However, there were so many I don't know what to write about. So much is happening! Anyway, I should probably finish now so I have time to send some other things your way. I only have about 10 minutes left. Tchuss!

Love,

Elder Adarns

P.S. To explain the title, basically, whenever I want to sing hymns, I don't have perfect pitch and don't know where to start. Therefore, I wish to buy a tuning fork today. It will totally solve that problem for the rest of my life.

P.P.S. I thought that thing with how I signed off really interesting. That's why I left it there.

Questions from Editor Mom

How has your week been? - Awesome and fantastic and great!

Have you been able to try washing your shirts with some bleach? How did that go? - I did try that, and it went well. At the very least, nothing got burned.

Any favorite conference talks? - I really liked Elder Holland's talk about how the light can defeat the darkness, and I loved the talk given by one of the seventy (I don't remember who) about the Book of Mormon and how it can fortify our testimony (something like that). I've got some notes written down.

How often do members feed you in Toppenish? - Pretty much every day, actually.
Did you get to watch anything on TV after conference? President David Holland, our stake president, was featured making commentary on some of the church history that was broadcast. He, as you know, is a very eloquent speaker and scholar. - No. Dang! That would have been cool. We just had a bunch of appointments and so we just went straight to work. Also, we had a ton of really annoying technical difficulties, so we ended up having to crowd around a little computer in an office upstairs to see it. (We couldn't get it to work in the chapel. We got sound, but no visual.)

Love you!

E. Adams

Pictures

 These are the notes to a talk I gave last Sunday (thankfully not yesterday, since that would have REALLY stressed me out):

This is a fly trap I created. It is a funnel above a jar filled with bad maple syrup and a little orange juice. The idea is that the flies will be able to go in, but not be able to come back out. So far, there are no flies.
 I was just messing around with some magnets, and one of them said "Allsop", another said "Elder's Quorum" and another said "Ward Mission Leader", so I played around and came up with this gem (Elder Allsop is one of the 2 assistants to the President right now, and used to serve in this area):
 

No comments:

Post a Comment