Sunday, October 1, 2017

Week 70: In which we teach back-to-back-to-back, we drink cocoa, and I ponder the Critical Taco


Stuff

Sorry, out of time. It was a crazy week. I love you all, but I managed my time badly and now have none left.

Good week. I'll copy some of Pres. Lewis' letter/also my letter to my parents (edited slightly so as not to be redundant):

It has been a very humbling few weeks for us, since is has been very clear that the miracles and blessings we have been seeing are NOT our doing. We talked to a lady this week, Vanessa, who is good friends with several local members. She has been going through a really rough time lately with anxiety and depression. She wants to know how to tap into God's support more, but didn't really know how to pray. She was in the middle of searching for peace when we knocked on her door. We shared that God has a Plan for us to help us be happy, ended up talking a bit, and then taught her to pray. She was super grateful that we stopped by.

Tons of stuff happened this week. It's just been so much. We started teaching a couple of atheists and their super religious mom, met a super young mom who just wants to finish school and become a better mom, testified our hearts out, taught 3 lessons back to back Friday night (seriously, that was the craziest 3 hours I've ever had on my mission) and we've done a ton of other things. 

I just want to leave you all with one of my new favorite scriptures:

Philippians 4:13 - Todo lo puedo en Cristo, quien me fortalece.

Love you all!

E. Adams

Questions from Editor Mom

Wie gehts? - Gut, danke! Y tu?

What should I be asking you this week--the thing you weren't planning to tell us in your letter, but that was interesting or funny or insightful? - I honestly have no idea. Tons of stuff happened this week. It's just been so much. We started teaching a couple of atheists and their super religious mom, met a lady named Vanessa who had been desperate to know how to pray as well as find peace (we taught her to pray), met a super young mom who just wants to finish school and become a better mom, testified our hearts out, taught 3 lessons back to back Friday night (seriously, that was the craziest 3 hours I've ever had on my mission) and done a ton of other things. (Sorry, just remembering a funny George W. Bush joke about the word "Brazilian":
Pres. Bush's aide: "Three Brazilian soldiers died this week in Afghanistan, sir." 
Pres. Bush: "That's awful! We'll have to send our condolences to the families, of course. Just, one thing: how many is a Brazilian again?")
What are you going to wish you remember about the last week that you might not remember if you don't write about it? - Well, I don't know. I honestly don't know. Oh, got it! Elder Rigby's family sent us a Hot Cocoa maker and some Stephen's Hot Chocolate. It's pretty great.

Who are you most looking forward to hearing in conference? - I'm really looking forward to hearing from Pres. Uchtdorf, Elder Bednar, Elder Holland, and Elder Andersen. If he can speak, of course, President Monson.

[Note: We learned that when the Church shut down their mission in Puerto Rico after the recent storms, 4 of them were sent to the Yakima mission.]
How much is your mission going to get shook up because of missionaries being transferred from Puerto Rico? Will it affect you or your district or zone? - I had no idea anything was even happening, so I don't think we'll be affected at all.

Any news from Noe y Maria? - No, not really. Last I heard, they were getting hard to contact again because of more picking seasons.
 
Are you set for sweaters and winter clothing, like gloves, socks, etc., or do you need me to send you anything? - I'm toying with the idea of sending home all of my short-sleeved shirts. I'm a little concerned that my short-sleeved shirts are a tad bit small (they kind of always have been, but I just ignored it).  Chances are, I won't need to use short-sleeved shirts again on my mission. 
 
You could try some sit ups to improve the fit of the short-sleeves shirts. Might work... - Psh. I am already exercising. I don't think I've gained any, but these darn delicious tacos! Seriously! I'm just glad I haven't yet hit the critical taco.
 
(The critical taco is something we refer to as Spanish missionaries: A lot of Hispanics are suuuuper skinny, and then they all of a sudden gain a ton of wait once they reach a certain age. It's not always, but it's kind of an interesting trend. The Critical taco is the one taco they eat which catapults them over the edge, like the straw that broke the camel's back.)

Pictures




No comments:

Post a Comment