Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Week 60: In which I lose Elder West, people use our boxes, and we are given a pie,


Week # Something-or-Other
Written 17 Jul 2017

Dear everyone,

This has been a great week! However, I'm super sad: Elder West is leaving. :-( He's going to be a Zone Leader up in Ephrata, WA. Oh, well. As I said before: sometimes, good things must pass away so that even better things can come along. For sure, I made a great friend here in The Dalles. I'm still stickin' around, and I'm going to be senior companion! That means I'm going to be driving again! Yay! I'm going to be receiving a new companion, Elder Jensen. I'm super excited for the adventures we'll make together.

This last week was awesome. Monday, we saw Noe and Maria again! They're doing okay, especially considering their crazy hours. Man, the harvest season is rough! However, we found some amazing new investigators up in Goldendale. Their names are Ofelia and Juan Carlos. They are pretty much the nicest people. They used to live in The Dalles, and when they did, they took the free English Classes offered by the Church. They also studied with the missionaries. They are already friends with some of the members down here, thanks to that. Ofelia has had a lot of contact with the Church in the past, and pretty much already believes the Restoration. Juan Carlos is working on leaving behind his old life, which was really troubled. He's trying to find out if he really needs God in his life, but is very sincere and open to learn about God.

We've put about four boxes around town so that if people have questions about God, they can write down their name, number, and/or address and we'll contact them to help answer their questions. Already, several people have put their info in our little "Referral Boxes"! We have 2 people who we think are really interested, and we're working on contacting them.

I know the Restored Gospel is true, and I am so very glad for the opportunity I have to share it with others here in The Dalles. I know that, if followed, the Gospel will immeasurably bless our lives and the lives of those we love. I know for a fact that is true of my family.

Love you all, and I wish you the best!

Elder Adams
 

Questions from Editor Mom

How are you? How are you feeling about the upcoming transfers? (I'm sure you'll tell us what's up, eh?) - Well, you already know what's happening. I'm really, really, sad to be losing Elder West. I kind of knew it would happen, though. I'm excited to receive Elder Jensen, though! I've heard he's a really fantastic person to be around. I will admit, I was rather surprised to be staying in The Dalles while Elder West leaves. It was a bit unexpected and a little out of left field. I was at first super surprised and didn't know what to make of it, but I'm getting excited for the adventures I'll have with my new companion.

We saw pictures of you in front of a ward party ad for a luau. Did you go? Did any investigators go? How was it? - Yeah, we went! We got a pie out of it! Unfortunately, none of our investigators went, but it was a cool luau activity. It was a scout camp fundraiser, so there was a dessert auction afterwards. Someone ended up buying us a pie.

Um. This is your mum speaking. I hope you thanked whoever bought you the pie!
Of course!

How was your interview with President Lewis? (Sister Lewis sent us pictures of you with three of your compatriots. Her label on the picture was, "I love these elders!") Tell us about what you talked about with both of them, please. :-) - We talked about a lot of things. I'll try to remember, but I think I talked to President Lewis about how I'm trying to stay positive (I mentioned my recent strategy for staying positive that I shared with you). With Sister Lewis, we talked about much the same. As I recall, I had had a harder week than usual at staying positive leading up to interviews, but had begun to snap out of it thanks to my strategy of saying nice things. I'm telling you, it works!

It looks like you could use some new brown shoes. Do you know what kind/size they are? - My brown shoes are actually doing okay, I just need to reinforce them a bit with shoe goo. They are Nunn Bush, and I think they're 13's, but don't quote me on that. Also, I have shined them recently, so they probably look a lot better than when you last saw them.

Any cello news? - Not really, nope.

Were there any excerpts from your letters in the last mission newsletter? - No.

How are your investigators? - They're doing okay. We found a couple of new ones, though, and they're awesome!

What have you been doing for service? - We've got a great gig helping people through the food bank. They really need Spanish-speakers, so it's perfect!
 
Dad and I are super proud of you. President Lewis told us you will be staying in The Dalles and that you will be the senior companion - It's comforting to know that he trusts me like that. I'm really excited to be able to work with Elder Jensen! I'm sure I'll learn a lot from him.
 
Are you excited to be the senior companion? - I suppose so, yes, but I'm honestly not entirely sure what that means, except that I'll be driving. Maybe I'll start having senior (companion) moments? Who can tell? 

It means you are responsible for doing all you can to make sure you are staying busy and focused, that if there is a question about what needs to be done, you own it. It's having an attitude of "the buck stops here. I am a problem-solver and will do what I need to do to get the job done." It means continuing to do the good work you've already been doing and trying to inspire your companion to do his best, without being pushy or obnoxious. Aaaand it means you get to drive. ðŸ™‚
Be careful! - Well, yes, but it's a strange thing when you're also trying to work in unity, together. You're looked to, and the buck stops there (possibly because the buck was shot?), but shouldn't you be doing all of that anyway, even when you are a junior companion? I don't know. I think I understand, I was just trying to do all of that anyway ;-) (besides actually having any responsibility).
 
You probably already know this, but one of the most helpful things I have learned about inspiring people is to treat them like the person they should and can be. Try to see them through God's eyes. Try to see their potential, and treat them like they are already there. Make sense? - Of course! It's one of my philosophies, taken straight from "The Art of Possibility". I call it "Giving an A". It's an important leadership and teaching principle.
 
I'm impressed. I didn't know you actually ever read that book! - Well, I don't remember if I read all of it, but I read some decent chunks. 

Love you!

Elder Adams
 

Stuff for your Eyes

 
Elder Poloncic, whom I ambushed while he was updating the Area Book to take this picture:
 
Sweet Sticky Rice With Mangoes!
 
Elder Hanson, with whom I was on exchanges:
 
 
   
 

No comments:

Post a Comment